A guide for Item Categorization in Metrc (Last Updated 7/2/2020)
Item Categorization Table
In Metrc, item categorization is important for ensuring compliance with the various laws, rules and regulations in place for marijuana. The chart below outlines the different definitions for various items in METRC and how to classify your items based on these definitions. For additional information on product and tax categorization in METRC, please visit the OLCC's Website or the Product and Tax Categorization Guide.
Other Cannabinoid Product
There are two types of pre-rolls: those that are still classified as usable marijuana and those that are classified as a cannabinoid product.
- Usable marijuana pre-rolls are bud and/or shake rolled in plain paper, optionally with a filter or cone. These types of pre-rolls may be created by producers, wholesalers, and retailers. They may not be created or transferred out by processors.
- Cannabinoid product pre-rolls are bud and/or shake combined with one or more of the following: flavored paper, extract (e.g. "twax joint"), or concentrate (e.g. kief). These types of pre-rolls may only be created by processors with the requisite endorsement. They may not be created by producers, wholesalers, or retailers.
Pre-Rolls and Net Weight
Like all items sold to consumers, the net weight on the label must represent the full weight of the item the consumer is purchasing. Per 845-025-7000 (40), "Net weight" means the gross weight minus the tare weight of the packaging expressed as ounces and grams or milligrams. “Net weight” as applied to pre-rolled marijuana includes the dried marijuana leaves and flowers, the rolling paper, and the filter or tip.
Pre-Rolls in Metrc
Oregon Metrc Pre-Roll Item Changes
In an effort to adjust Metrc functionality to match current packaging and labeling rules, OLCC implemented a new way to categorize pre-rolls in Metrc as outlined in Compliance Bulletin 1904, published on March 19th, 2019. The change in Metrc coincided with the change in labeling requirements (product sell down) effective April 1, 2019. As of that date OLCC-licensed retailers are no longer be allowed to accept products with labels that were approved prior to August 15, 2018, and other licensees are no longer be allowed to transfer those items to retailers. See OLCC Recreational Marijuana Compliance Bulletin CE-2019-03 for additional details on the product sell down requirements.
Metrc functionality now includes two new “each” items for pre-rolls: one for “plain” (non-infused) pre-rolls (usable marijuana with unflavored paper, filter, and/or tip) and one for “infused” pre-rolls (usable marijuana combined with flavored paper and/or concentrate or extract such as kief). Hemp only pre-rolls should continue to be tracked as “Usable Hemp” – the pre-roll categories discussed below are only for marijuana items . For questions about hemp see OLCC’s Hemp Metrc Guide.
For plain pre-rolls: Licensed Recreational Producers, Wholesalers, and Retailers may make non-infused pre-rolls under their license privileges and should use the product category of “Non-Infused Pre-Rolls” in Metrc. Items in this category are created as count-based (“each”) items. When creating the items in Metrc you will be prompted to enter two additional values:
- Weight per unit: this is the full net weight of the pre-roll and must include the weight of the usable marijuana plus the weight of the rolling paper, filter, tip, cone, etc. This is one of the required weights on the label for sale to a consumer per OLCC’s rules on labeling of usable marijuana pre-rolls.
- Weight of usable marijuana per unit: In Metrc this field will be called “Unit THC Content”; the weight in this field should be the weight of the usable marijuana in the pre-roll. The weight would be the full net weight of the pre-roll minus the weight of the rolling paper, filter, tip, cone, etc. This is the second required weight on the label for sale to a consumer per the OLCC’s rules on labeling of usable marijuana pre-rolls.
If you discover that an incorrect THC weight or total weight is entered during item setup, the item should be edited, NOT discontinued.
Weight edits will flow to any "child" packages, however, discontinued items require a repack by each facility with packaged inventory!
Any package you create of a non-infused pre-roll item will appear in Metrc as “each” and the weight per unit and weight of usable marijuana per unit created for the item will be associated with the package.
For additional assistance, a step-by-step sheet is available for guidance on creating your new Non-Infused Pre-Roll inventory item and repackaging it in Metrc.
For infused pre-rolls: Only Licensed Recreational Processors may make infused pre-rolls. Infused pre-rolls are “other cannabinoid products” and are a combination of usable marijuana with one or more items or substances that are not unflavored rolling papers or filters/tips. Examples of infused pre-rolls include but are not limited to:
• Usable Marijuana rolled in flavored paper;
• “Twax joint” that combines usable marijuana with an extract;
• “Kiefed joint” that combines usable marijuana with kief; and
• Pre-roll that includes both kief and oil (extract).
Under the product category of “Infused Pre-Rolls” in Metrc, items in this category are created as count-based (“each”) items. When creating the items in Metrc you will be prompted to enter the Unit Weight of the pre-roll, which is the full net weight of the item. This is the weight required to be on the label for sale to a consumer per the OLCC’s rules on labeling of other cannabinoid products.
Unlike “plain” (non-infused) pre-rolls, infused pre-rolls only require a single net weight of the item on the label. The weight of the usable marijuana in an infused pre-roll is not required to be included on the label of an infused pre-roll.
For additional assistance, a step-by-step sheet is available for guidance on creating your new Infused Pre-Roll inventory item and repackaging it in Metrc.
The OLCC’s Product and Tax Categorization Guide and the Oregon Metrc Wiki’s Item Categorization page have been updated as of April 1 to reflect this new method of tracking pre-rolls. New Metrc packages of pre-rolls created on and after April 1, 2019 should be categorized according to the above guidance. This will require the licensee creating the package to create a new item with the appropriate category prior to creating the package in Metrc.
Seeds in Metrc are configured as weight based, unless they are being sold to a retailer, then they are configured as each and sold in a package of not more than ten seeds.
If you encounter a technical problem or just want to provide general comments regarding your visit to the Oregon Metrc Wiki, we welcome your Feedback.